Providing Public Transportation
Alternatives for the Greater
Phoenix Metro Area

Public Hearing Dates



2012 Fare Change Public Hearing Information

Valley Metro is proposing changes to the fare structure that guides the price of transit service for: Local, LINK, Express and RAPID service, Rural Route 685, METRO light rail service and Phoenix, East Valley and Sun City ADA Dial-a-Ride.

Fares pay for about 25% of the cost to operate service. The remaining 75% is paid by local sales tax revenues, state and federal funds.

Currently, passengers are paying about 23% of the cost to ride bus and light. This amount continues to decrease as the cost of operations continues to rise.

We would like your input on a 25 cent increase to the 1-Ride fare. This 25 cent change increases the price of all fare types because they are based on the 1-Ride fare. Please review the chart and provide your input by attending one of the public hearings, emailing or clicking on the Electronic Comment Card link below.

  • A fare increase would impact the cost to ride the bus and light rail as early as July 2012.
  • The current one-ride fare of $1.75 would increase to $2.00 and the All-day pass purchased in advance would cost riders $4.00 instead of the current cost of $3.50.
  • The 31-day Local pass would increase from $55.00 to $64.00 and the Express 31-day pass price would change from $85.00 to $96.00.
  • In addition, Phoenix, East Valley and Sun City ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) Dial-a-Ride services, the Arizona State University U-Pass and the Platinum Pass will also be impacted by the fare change.
  • The Rural Route fare structure will be simplified to one-flat fare of $4.00 ($2.00 discounted) per one-way trip. The simplified fare enables implementation of passes and work towards integration with regional system. Rural Route 685 provides service between Ajo, Gila Bend and Phoenix.
  • Valley Metro plans to introduce a new 15-day pass and eliminate the 3-day.

Valley Metro RPTA staff and city staff are presenting 2012 transit fare change information on the following dates listed in the column to the right.

To arrange disability accommodations, contact Valley Metro by calling 602.495.8211 or send an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Fare Type Current Fare Proposed July 1, 2012 Fare
LOCAL    
1-Ride $1.75 $2.00
All-Day Off-Board $3.50 $4.00
All-Day On-Board $5.25 $6.00
3-Day $10.50
7-Day $17.50 $20.00
15-Day $33.00
31-Day $55.00 $64.00
EXPRESS    
1-Ride $2.75 $3.00
All-Day Off-Board $5.50 $6.00
All-Day On-Board $7.25 $9.00
31-Day $85.00 $96.00
REDUCED    
1-Ride $0.85 $1.00
All-Day Off-Board $1.75 $2.00
All-Day On-Board $2.60 $3.00
3-Day $5.25
7-Day $8.75 $10.00
15-Day $16.50
31-Day $27.50 $32.00
ADA Dial-A-Ride    
1-Ride $3.50 $4.00
Rural Route    
1-Ride $3.25* $4.00

* The average fare per trip.

Additional ways to give input through December 13:

  • Email comments to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
  • Written comments can be sent to:
    Valley Metro RPTA
    Attn: Fare Program Manager
    101 N. 1st Ave, Suite 1100
    Phoenix, AZ 85003
  • You can provide input regarding the proposed service changes using our Electronic Comment Card
  • Customer Service phone line will accept comments at 602.253.5000


   !