Pedestrian and Passenger Safety
Valley Metro wants you to arrive safely. Please remember these safety tips when around buses and light rail trains.
- Cross streets at crosswalks and obey the signals.
- Look both ways before crossing the tracks by car, bike or on foot.
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings.
- Tracks are for Trains! Cross tracks only in designated areas.
- Never run after or next to a moving bus or train.
- Do not cross in front of the bus or train.
- Slow down. Most slips, trips and falls occur when someone is in a rush.
- Pay attention. A train may travel on any track at any time.
- Light rail is quiet. Look for flashing headlights and listen for warning bells and horns.
- Don’t be distracted by mobile phones and audio devices.
- Skateboarding, rollerblading or biking on the tracks or on light rail platforms is not permitted.
- Be visible at transit stops.
- At the bus stop wait away from the curb and traffic.
- At the station platform, stand away from the textured strip that is along the edge. Adults should hold the hands of small children at all times.
- Allow other passengers to exit the train before boarding and do not lean against the doors once inside.
- Watch your step when boarding. Hold on to the handrail when entering and exiting the bus.
- The doors on the train are open for a very short time. Be prepared to board and exit quickly.
- If you drop something when exiting, leave it on the ground until the bus drives away.
- Service animals are allowed and must be kept under control. Pets must be inside carrying cases.
- Shoes and shirts are required to ride.
- Smoking and eating are prohibited on Valley Metro vehicles.
- Caustic and flammable materials are prohibited.
- Rollerblades, skateboards and bicycles may not be used on Valley Metro vehicles.
- Children seven years old and younger must be accompanied by a responsible person, which is defined as one who can directly supervise the child.
- Use caution in extreme weather conditions during the summer months and plan your trip accordingly.
- Bring along a hat, water and an umbrella for protection against the elements.
- Take advantage of shade but be sure to be visible at the bus stop or light rail station when the vehicle arrives.
- Help keep the vehicles cool by boarding and exiting quickly.
- Other tips on keeping cool.