In just 10 years, light rail has changed the landscape of Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa. Today, more than 50,000 riders rely on light rail each day to take them to work, school and recreation. No doubt, light rail plays a role in attracting major events. It also provides an essential link between the downtown Phoenix and Tempe ASU campuses. We have expanded to serve a transit-reliant corridor along 19th Avenue and sparked new life into downtown Mesa. We are here to do more than serve, we are here to connect your community and enhance your life.
"Light rail has been a major economic driver that has spurred more than $11 billion in capital investments along the tracks since it opened 10 years ago," said Phoenix Mayor and Valley Metro Rail Board Chair Thelda Williams. "It’s been a catalyst for positive change, connecting people to education and career opportunities and connecting neighborhoods. The regional transportation system has become integrated into the daily lives of thousands of residents across the Valley."
Our Quality of Life report examines progress in achieving that early vision, defined by four goals; Connecting Communities, Enhancing Customer Experience, Driving the Economy and Fostering Community Health.
Here are some highlights from the Quality of Life report:
- 36% increase in bicycle riders accessing transit after light rail operations began
- 93,000+ light rail rides to/from Talking Stick Resort Arena in 2017 with Rail Ride ticket partnership
- 15-minute savings of travel time during rush hour & 14% increase in transit on-time performance and more frequent trips on light rail
- 81% of customers are very satisfied with transit service, up from 74% before light rail
- 35,000+ jobs have been created within one-half mile of light rail since 2008
- 2,200 new affordable housing units in the corridor since construction began