Valley Metro in partnership with Maricopa County provides Paratransit (also known as Dial-a-Ride) services to residents who live in unincorporated areas of the county. Valley Metro and Maricopa County are exploring service options that will better meet the increased demand and costs in ridership.
Changes considered in unincorporated areas of Maricopa County
If approved, the following proposed changes will take effect starting on October 1, 2019.
- All new riders must be ADA certified for both Paratransit and RideChoice.
- Interested individuals can get a free ride to and from the Mobility Center for certification.
- Current registered, non-certified riders will only be able to use the RideChoice service option.
- Valley Metro Paratransit will be the service option that riders may use for trips that begin and end within the mandated ADA service area, which are within three-quarters of a mile of a fixed bus route or light rail station.
- Each one-way trip on Valley Metro Paratransit will cost $4.00.
- Fares will be payable in cash or with tickets available from Valley Metro.
- Valley Metro RideChoice will be the service option available to unincorporated riders for trips that either begin or end outside the mandated Valley Metro ADA Paratransit service areas.
- RideChoice operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, using rideshare transportation service providers such as Uber, authorized taxi cab providers and other qualified providers.
- Each RideChoice trip costs $3.00 for the first 8 miles and $2.00 for each additional mile.
- Find more RideChoice information here.
Learning more and providing comments
Valley Metro and Maricopa County have scheduled two public hearings regarding the proposed Paratransit changes. At these hearings you can learn more about the proposed changes, have your questions answered, and provide any comments or concerns.
- Public Hearing #1 - Wednesday, July 17 - 2:30 pm - 3 pm Open House, 3 pm - 4 pm Hearing at City of Surprise, Community Room, 16000 Civic Center Plaza, Surprise, AZ 85374
- Public Hearing #2 - Thursday, July 18 - 2:30 pm - 3 pm Open House, 3 pm - 4 pm Hearing at Mesa Public Library, Saguaro Room, 64 E. 1st St., Mesa, AZ 85201
A complete review of the potential impact of any changes as well as residents' comments and concerns will be conducted before any decisions will be finalized.